Monday, September 6, 2010

For the Love of Olney

When I was growing up Sundays meant dinner with family. One particular Sunday during my junior year in high school my grandmother asked me if I knew anything about an accident in Olney. She said she was driving on Rt. 108 at about 10:30 on Thursday morning and there were a few cars pulled off to the side of the road with someone wrapped in a blanket. She went on to say one of the cars was a candy apple red Mustang convertible that looked just like my car. I assured her I didn't know anything, I was in school at 10:30 on Thursday morning.

I lied. I had taken a friend home to get her homework and I hit a dog. The dog had run into the street right in front of The Olney House (Riccuiti's). Of course I stopped, but someone else did also. They wrapped the dog in a blanket and took it to Town and Country Animal Clinic. After school I went to the clinic and asked Dr. Wendy how the dog was and if they had found the owners. She told me the dog was going to be fine and they had found the owners. She also told me I should not be leaving school during the day, but she wouldn't tell my parents, this time.

Olney has changed. Sunday dinner has been replaced by drinks at the Grille, family has become friends who happen to live close by, but the sense of community found in and around Olney has stayed the same. I know my kids do things they shouldn't do, but I also know there are people like my grandmother and Dr. Wendy who see them doing it.

Olney has made the transition from a family oriented farm town to a community oriented suburb of a major city. There are many reasons and many people who have made this happen, but in the end it is the housewives of Olney who maintain the community that make this such a great place for families.

Given the popularity of Bravo TVs Real Housewives franchise I have decided to begin a series about The Real Housewives of Olney. My plan is to write a new blog post every Thursday looking at Olney through the eyes of the Housewives. I have created 5 fictional characters who I will introduce to you this Thursday. My goal is to keep the series light and fun while celebrating the uniqueness of Olney and those of us who live here.

The Real Housewives of Olney are fictional characters, any resemblance to actual people is purely coincidental. The events and places discussed in this series of blog posts will mostly be real places and real events. I am not reporting facts so creative license will be taken. Let me also say that I have the utmost respect and admiration for all the housewives in Olney who give their time, their talents and their knowledge to make Olney the wonderful place it is. Our children and husbands are lucky to have us and the community we make.

Check back Thursday to meet The Real Housewives of Olney.


1 comment:

  1. Wow -- I am interested to meet these characters and see the action...

    ReplyDelete