Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Purging - It Hurts So Good

There are two kinds of people - those that accumulate things and those that don't. To those that don't, my hat's off to you. I am not worthy. For the rest of us, accumulating things is an ongoing process. First you acquire things, then you store things. It's the storing things that has buried me. I'm pretty sure I'm not a hoarder (that Buried Alive show has traumatized us all) but I do tend to hang on to things too long. "But I might need that some day!!" Once when my friend tried to de-clutter me after I had my first child, she asked me the following question for everything she picked up, "Have you used this in the past year?" If it's no, toss it. Boy that's hard. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to need a box to mail or wrap something and be able to put my hands on just the right box! I know, I'm sad.

Well, there's hope on the horizon. Thanks to my friend "A," I am now engaged in weekly de-cluttering sessions with a buddy. Once a week, A and I spend 30 mins (okay, it's more like 2 hours) on a de-cluttering project at her house and then at my house. It's not a new concept, but we finally decided to do it and I highly recommend it. The beauty of it is, we're both very organized. We just can't let go of our own stuff so the other person purges it for you.

Ah, that feeling of space. I'm embracing it.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I'm a regular "purger" myself. The consignment shop and I are very good friends...

    ReplyDelete