Sunday, February 26, 2012

Exotic Cuisine?

Last week on the OBX, I learned that a whole pig roast is a Maryland tradition. I haven't yet sampled any seemingly-exotic-but-apparently-indigenous cuisine here in Olney. The pig roast description, however, reminded me of two appetite-whetting (or appetite-suppressing -- depends on the diner) experiences in China:
  • In Sichuan, I brandished a skewer on which a wiggling catfish was impaled... ready to be dipped into the boiling hot pot. The wriggling fish was even more startling than the appetizers of pig brain, pig throat and cow stomach.
  • In Tai'an, a friend and I ordered a local delicacy, the"breathing carp" (a half-cooked fish whose body is prepped for eating but whose head still seems alive with moving gills and opening/closing lips). Before digging into the body, we first tried to hide the head by putting a plate on it ... but then the plate rose and fell! When we finally asked for fish to be cooked completely, the waitress thought we were crazy because that was not the way the locals would eat the specialty.
As a non-Maryland native, I wonder what other traditional Maryland cuisine -- besides the pig roast -- I can try. What other Olney restaurants prepare local delicacies? Perhaps the new Safeway carries exotic-but-really-indigenous goodies. Maybe I'll discover them when I can find a parking space.

No comments:

Post a Comment