Friday, July 2, 2010

Dancing Queen

I feel lucky that Olney offers opportunities to sample many different kinds of dance: ballet, ballroom dancing, Zumba, etc. Although I hadn’t studied tap dancing since the early 1990s, a few years ago I found the nerve to sign up for a tap dance class... and had a crash course in post-2000 R&B and hip hop music. Expecting show tunes and big band songs, I was greeted with the pulsating rhythms of Rihanna and Pink. A classic rock fan, I had never before heard of these artists and tunes, much less realized that a person could shuffle/flap/ball-change to them. When I later proudly showed my kids the routine I learned to "Disturbia," they were disturbed by seeing their mother tapping to a song they like (even though they were impressed by the choreography). My familiarity with Katy Perry’s “Hot & Cold” came in handy when, after hearing the song on the radio, my daughter asked about the infamous “b-word” in its lyrics. However, my "expertise" was later spurned at a party when the deejay played "Hot and Cold" and I offered to show her and her friends the snazzy tap steps I learned to this tune. She immediately exclaimed, "No Mom! Don't!" as she hurriedly pushed me from the dance floor.

I don't think I want to show my kids any moves from my next possible area of interest: pole dancing. A friend recently hosted a pole-dancing party at her house, where an ex-stripper/instructor set up a portable (but safely anchored from ceiling to floor) pole in the living room and taught novices an entire routine (fully clothed) to hip hop music. Many people don't realize how strenuous pole dancing is -- imagine maneuvering and supporting most of your weight with just your upper body. Now envision removing your clothes gracefully at the same time! Oy -- I actually don't want to visualize this image, but I do want to tone my arms and core while using my limited knowledge of hip-hop music if I try pole dancing.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. I can picture this...wait, no I TOTALLY can not. You're a nut, my friend!

    ReplyDelete