Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What's in a Sir Name?

There was a funny string on the OBX listserv about people's sir names and their chosen profession. I mean, how hard was it for Dr. Brush to decide to be a dentist or Dr. Foot to decide to be a podiatrist? There were many others: Dr. Needles, the pediatrician; B. Lawless, the lawyer; Dr. Spot, the dermatologist; Dr. Slaughter, the surgeon (okay, I don't care how good he/she is, I don't think I'd go there); Dr. Corn, the podiatrist; Sparky, the electrician; Dr. Pinns, the pediatrician, Dr. Butts, the gastroenterologist (that has to be a joke, right?); Dr. Katz, the veterinarian; Dr. Glassman, the opthamologist; Dr. Brain, the psychiatrist; and Dr. Sicklick, the dentist.

I wish our family had one of those names that conveyed our destiny. Then it would be easier for my 14 year old daughter to pick her vocation. Hey, there's no time to waste. According to Sherwood H.S. orientation, she needs to predict her future now - at 14 - so she can get the right classes, so colleges will accept her...Poor thing. Afterwards she said, "But mom, I don't know what I want to be!" I told her not to worry, there was still time.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the thread of hilarious and ironic names for doctors and lawyers; this thread is one of the perks of the OBX listserv!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading the thread, too. I don't know why I didn't think to chime in there but I have one to add: I go to an OB/GYN in Bethesda named Dr. Apgar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like noteverstill, I saw an OB/GYN named Dr. Apgar. He delivered one of my kids. Numbed from an epidural but still chatting nervously to pass time while in labor, I learned that Dr. Apgar's grandmother was Dr. Virginia Apgar, designer of the Apgar test for infants.

    ReplyDelete