Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lopeless Near Laytonsville

I strive to expand my palate by sampling new kinds of fruits. Yesterday while driving eastbound on Route 108, I slowed down to avoid being ticketed by a speed camera and noticed a local produce stand's handwritten signs. One read: "Lopes 2 for $5." Lopes, I pondered, what are lopes? Hmm -- must be some exotic fruit.

Intrigued, this morning I drove back to the fruit stand, parked, strode up to the two salespeople and enthusiastically inquired, "What's a lope? I'd like to try one!"

Their brief pause before answering me gave me pause... uh-oh, did I pronounce it incorrectly?

The lady cheerfully replied, "Oh, lopes are cantaloupes." She smiled. I smiled back sheepishly.

The kind young man sympathetically added, "Another person once asked me, 'What are lopez [pronounced as in Jennifer Lopez]?' "

I nodded, selected and paid for white nectarines, then shuffled back to my car ... lopeless, but a little more learned in fruit lingo.

No comments:

Post a Comment