Monday, August 16, 2010

Pool Pals

You meet the nicest people at the pool. The last time I was sitting on the side when a young man- about high school freshman age came up to me. He extended his hand and asked if I was from a certain Latin-American country. I told him not that one, my parents are from Peru. They have good food he told me. We spoke for a bit and then he froze up, whipped out his cell phone and proceeded to text a response to the text he just received. I sat there watching him as he muttered out loud his response. "True that. I'll hit you back later." and some other words I could not make out. He took about a minute, thumbs flying, to compose his text. And I just sat there wondering, Do I wait? Excuse myself? Make a break for it and jump in the 2 foot section? He finished and we resumed talking. I couldn't help but feel like I was on calling waiting live, in person face to face.
Another time, my girls and I were in the pool when a little girl swam up to us and introduced herself. We said hello and told her our names. She told us her age which fell between the ages of my daughters. She asked if she could play/swim with us and we said sure. It was for just that session and then the whistle blew for adult swim. We would see her on occasion and the last time she wanted to join us while we were playing our family game. Of course, I invited her. While my girls felt like their time with me was compromised, I explained that this was a nice and simple thing to do. I found out from the girl that her older sister brings her to the pool. Where is she now? I asked. Over there hanging out with those boys. So why not hang out with this girl? She wanted the attention. Haven't seen her in a while though. You just meet the nicest people at the pool....

1 comment:

  1. I've experienced similar awkward social situations just like the two you mentioned (and especially at the pool too). For the first situation, have a book ready and whip it out and read while you wait for other person to return from his/her interruption (if you want to wait)?

    ReplyDelete