Friday, August 20, 2010

A Walk in the Park -- Interrupted

Yesterday I took my kids to Buehler Park to play and brought a novel to read while waiting on a bench. No longer toddlers or preschoolers, my kids do not require much assistance and scrutiny while climbing on the jungle gyms. However, I still sit nearby within earshot to intercept any fighting, to watch for any mishaps, and to scare away any creeps.

I noticed a mother hiking on the bike path that winds around the playground equipment. What a great idea, I thought. My kids are old enough that they don't need me underfoot, so I can get a little exercise too. I put down my book and started striding around the bike path, pumping both arms with a water bottle in each hand. I still could watch my offspring cavorting on the equipment and they could still see me.

Nonetheless, one child came running up to me. Uh-oh, worried because you can't see me? I wondered.

"Oh -- are you going to walk with Mom?" the other kid asked.

"No, I'm getting Mom to stop marching before everyone else notices!"

No comments:

Post a Comment