Sunday, September 19, 2010

Do I Have Choice?

I enjoy using the self-checkout lanes at Giant. With each swipe of a barcode, I delight in hearing the "Beep! Beep!" sounds of a successful scan. I've also grown accustomed to the mechanical voice. When a new voice was recently introduced in one of the self-checkout lanes, I was a bit taken aback; I thought, 'I'll have to use another lane next time. Maybe I'll -- in the words of Peter Gabriel -- hear that voice again.'

Sometimes the voice can be a bit impatient. At the end each transaction it commands: "Use the electronic pen to sign the signature tablet. When you are finished, please press DONE." Too busy putting away grocery/credit cards, bagging items and loading my cart, I'm often not quick enough; I then hear "USE the electronic pen to SIGN the signature tablet. When you are finished, PLEASE press DONE." If I am still fumbling with my wallet or chasing rolling fruit/cans, the voice insistently repeats: "USE THE ELECTRONIC PEN TO SIGN THE SIGNATURE TABLET. WHEN YOU--" and I sign quickly just to cut it off.

The most fun I have using the self-checkout aisle is talking back to the user screen. It always flashes the final sum with the question: "Amount Okay?" As if I had a choice. Do I have a choice? I didn't know I had a say in the final total!

"No, the amount is not okay," I retort, "I think the amount should be 50% lower." So far, no mechanical voice has replied, except with "Thank you for shopping at Giant."

2 comments:

  1. Even if you've already finished, she sometimes tells you to sign. So whenever she gets snarky with me about signing, I retort, "Hello, I DID!" Then I invariably look around guiltily to see if anyone notices me talking to the cash register...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny -- I am sure there are many more people than us that talk back to the register! A hidden camera recording people talking to the machine at the self-checkout lines would make a pretty funny video!

    ReplyDelete