Thursday, September 16, 2010

You Just Can't Fight Mother Nature


Keeping the house clean. Hmm, who thought it would be so hard? Why do we care? Is it only the mom that cares? (okay, I know there are some neat husbands out there).

So now, in addition to having to pick up after two kids and the various pets, I'm having to chase after stink bugs and squirrels. It's not that the stink bugs are messy, it's just that they're, well, weird. They remind me of manatees in Florida. They're harmless, but they're not pretty to look at and you don't want them in your living room. This morning I unpacked my suitcase from the weekend away (no, I don't unpack the minute I get home), and as I pulled out my blouse, there was a stink bug stuck to it. I don't think it was alive anymore but that's what's weird about them. You can't tell if they're alive or dead until they move. I'm happy to report that I've never actually smelled one but I can only imagine how bad it is if they've been coined with the name, "stink bug." The animal that's really driving me insane right now are the squirrels. I must have the most self-actualized Dogwood Tree known to man because it 'lets go' of so many things all over my patio all year long! Right now it's dropping these big prickly cherry things. The squirrels have decided these are as good as maraschinos because they're eating them voraciously. The problem is that it's creating the biggest mess on my patio. These things are tough to sweep away when they're whole. After the squirrels have worked on them, they're in a billion sticky pieces! If they're going to eat them, why don't they just eat them cleanly and not leave a chewed up mess! (note: I've said the same to my kids) I'm constantly sweeping!

As I sit here writing, a squirrel has just strolled onto the patio and picked up a cherry and is eating it! Right now! This minute! In front of me! It's like he knows I'm writing about him. Oh well. Always the mom, I guess it's good to know that he's getting a full stomach in time for winter.

1 comment:

  1. looks like you're hosting a very nice patio restaurant...for squirrels! maybe they can be trained to leave tips : )

    ReplyDelete