Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Rockville Mountain High

Yesterday I climbed a mountain. Okay, not a real one, but a really tall wall at Earth Treks in Rockville. Even since seeing my older daughter scale the rock courses at two Earth Treks birthday parties, I have wanted to try it myself. Clamoring onto Olney Square Park's kiddie rock-climbing wall was all I had ever accomplished -- and that was before my kids shooed me off before anyone saw me.

On the drive to Rockville, I suddenly panicked. What if I can't do it? What if I lose my nerve while stuck on the wall -- in front of everyone? What if I can't make it to the top? When we reached the Marlo building (which houses the indoor climbing gym) I thought, Too late to turn back now.

Suited up with harnesses and led by a friendly instructor, my younger daughter and I embarked on our vertical adventures. She climbed up first so quickly, making it look easy! Then I tried. Ascending was easier than I thought it would be, and a bit exhilarating ... until I looked down. About three-quarters of the way to the top, I noticed how small the people on the ground looked. Even worse, I made the mistake of looking to my right, where an advanced climber dangled above me, close to the ceiling! My palms began to sweat. I paused. Too late to turn back now.

After willing myself to reach the highest rock, I began to ride down on the rope. Descending was smooth, once I got the hang of sitting back and bracing my feet against the wall instead of swinging and banging it. My daughter and I climbed two more times, each time on a more challenging course and with increased confidence and speed. I discovered what great a workout rock climbing is -- for the legs, the upper body, and even the mind. As my daughter breathlessly exclaimed, indoor rock climbing is "fun, but a little scary!” – although probably not a scary as scaling a real mountain outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment