Saturday, December 18, 2010

Snow Blower Fun

A few years ago, a neighbor (a New Hampshire native) and I (a New Jersey native) scoffed at other neighbors who owned snow blowers. "Why?!" we asked with disbelief. After all, we Northerners were used to seeing several feet of snow during the winter, not the mere inches of flakes that fall in here Olney. We joked that schools around here close (or open late), parents panic and motorists slow to a snail's pace at the first sign of flurries. Up north, we had to be snowbound in order for any place to close.

Well, last year that happened here. I (and the neighbor, who migrated north to Maine!) ate our words, what with the record-breaking snow drifts that closed down not only MCPS, local businesses and the county government, but also the federal government for several days. Once the streets were finally plowed, some people hurried out to buy snow blowers .

Last Thursday, arriving home during this area's first snowfall of the year, I spied a dark figure on our driveway... pushing a snow blower! Just moments earlier, I was bracing myself for shoveling my long driveway. But aha! My neighbor across street -- one of those folks who purchased a post-blizzard snow blower -- was clearing the snow off of my driveway. He had already cleaned off my front walkway and sidewalk!

"I hope you don't mind," he said as I thanked him effusively. "I'm just having some fun with the snow blower. I'm not spoiling any of your shoveling fun, am I?"

No comments:

Post a Comment