Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Memories and Farm Fresh Eggs

Oh sweet memories...they're so great - when you can actually remember them. Two experiences recently have me thinking about elusive memories - what a struggle remembering can be, but what joy it can bring. I read an article in last week's Washington Post about a 22 year old woman who was hit on the head by a ceiling fan and suffered complete amnesia. She didn't remember her children, she couldn't remember how to talk, walk or read. She had to start over, and nearly 20 years later, she's rebuilt herself and is going to college. Amazing! The other is closer to home. It bums me out how much I can't remember, but as a volunteer at Winter Growth I interact with 2 young men - they're only about 60! - who are suffering from early onset Alzheimer's. What a tragedy. One of them, call him Bob, raises fresh eggs from the hens in his and his wife's backyard. He offered to bring me some. How will he remember until next week? I gave him a note to give to his wife. "Do you know what this note says?" I ask. "I have no idea," he says. I read it to him. "Well, just give it to your wife," I say. "Okay," he says. The next week - somehow he remembers when he sees me that he's supposed to bring me eggs. "Did you give the note to your wife?" I ask. "I don't know," he says. "That's okay," I say, "but if I give you another note, how will you remember to give it to your wife?" "I don't know," he says sadly. We both just looked at each other stymied. "No big deal," I say, "we'll figure something out next time. Perhaps one of the other residents can help you remember for next week." When I came in today to volunteer 3 of the residents shouted, "Bob has your eggs!!" We were all so thrilled and I am so thrilled to have these beautiful eggs - each a unique color and size - knowing how hard they worked to get to me. Happy memories!

2 comments:

  1. This is a very sweet and uplifting story -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete