Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bodies, Rest and Motion

At the pool the other day, I discussed with a neighbor the merits of different swimsuit styles. My neighbor noted that she prefers stylish one-pieces to the skort tankini she usually wears to chase after her non-swimming yet fearless tyke.

Interesting point: some styles (i.e., bikinis, low- and high-cut tanks) look better on a person who is standing or sitting, but NOT moving. However, if the person wants to be active, a stable garment with more coverage is needed. Lounging in a poolside chair calls for a different kind of swimsuit than one worn while chasing kids, swimming, bending over, squatting ... you get the picture.

Actually, you may not want to get the picture. Our sartorial discussion reminded me of the Seinfeld episode "The Apology," when Jerry's girlfriend walked around in the nude. Instead of enjoying the clothes-free situation, Jerry realized that when she coughed, crouched down or tried to unscrew a jar, her body was not so attractive. He told George, “There's good naked and bad
 naked."

Likewise, my neighbor and I concluded that there are good swimsuits (sturdy tops, skirted bottoms) and bad swimsuits (string bikinis, skimpy one-pieces) when bodies are not at rest, but in motion.

2 comments:

  1. So true! I myself avoid the whole discussion by only wearing swim shorts and a swim shirt, rather than a suit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought I would wear skirted/skort swimming bottoms that I had mocked when as a kid, but today's styles are less "old lady" and flowery/frilly.

    ReplyDelete