Thursday, October 22, 2015

Peace Walks - The Sounds of Olney

I’ve heard that people who have lost their vision develop a refined sense of hearing and those who have lost their hearing develop a refined sense of sight. For those of us who are lucky to have our vision and our hearing, it can be hard to do both simultaneously.

Recently, I have been venturing out from walking around my block to seeking out more interesting nature paths in and around Olney. So far, I have enjoyed the UndergroundRailroad Trail accessible from Woodlawn Manor Cultural Park in Sandy Spring and the Quaker Meeting House trail also in Sandy Spring (both intersect at the historic fresh-water spring that gave the community its name). I've also hiked in Lake Needwood, particularly the path from the boathouse.
Beyond the beautiful scenery, I have been trying to pay attention to nature's sounds. This video that captures the sound of the rustling trees at Lake Needwood, and this video that records the sound of rippling waves at a Hampton Beach in New Hampshire (okay, that was nowhere near Olney but I happened to be there last weekend).

I look forward to many more Peace Walks and capturing more sounds.
 

1 comment:

  1. My daughters and I enjoyed exploring the Underground Railroad Trail. Lake Frank is a wonderful place to hike too.

    ReplyDelete