Thursday, December 17, 2015

Frank's - the hot sauce. Not the hot dog

Olney, like most of America, is a melting pot. While on the surface we may look and sound alike, the truth is that we represent a diverse set of values, opinions, perspectives and traditions.

Why am I bringing this up now, you say?

Well, a recent interaction with my husband reminded me of this phenomenon. He from a small town in Massachusetts, me from a mid-size suburb in Long Island, NY. Though we've been together for over 30 years, there is still so much about us that is different. Take for example a simple grocery list. My husband, addicted to Frank's Hot Sauce, added "Franks" to the grocery list. Even though we don't eat hot dogs much anymore, when I looked at the word "Franks" on the list at the grocery store, I immediately gravitated to the hot dog section because where I come from "franks" means "hot dogs." You know, like franks and beans.  I thought it was strange that he wanted me to buy hot dogs but I rationalized that he had been camping a lot lately. Later that night, he went in search of his Frank's Hot Sauce to add it to yet another meal (I'm trying not to take it personally) and asked me where the Frank's was. I responded, "In the refrigerator drawer where it's supposed to be." Duh! He with a question mark on his face. Me irritated that yet again he wasn't looking beyond the top shelf of the refrigerator. And then it dawned on me. Oooohhh, you meant Frank's not franks.


So back to my melting pot thesis. The OBEX has come a long way towards developing a culture that is ever more tolerant of diverse but civil discourse on a variety of topics. This has not been an easy process but we should applaud ourselves that we've stuck with it and found a way to make it work. May all of our paths in life proceed with such grace.

1 comment:

  1. I'm from New Jersey and lived in Manhattan so when I hear "franks" I also think of hot dogs (yum!).

    ReplyDelete