Thursday, December 24, 2015

Winter Holiday Decorations

Although I miss Halloween decorations, I'm always thrilled to see winter holiday decorations throughout Olney. I love all types of lights: colored, white, flashing, non-flashing, strings, nets, icicles, spiral trees, stars, snowflakes, etc. 

credit: globallybuying.com
Houses bathed with shimmering spots of lights look magical. I like the way houses become canvases onto which projectors paint laser light shows; my teenage daughter, however, think the pinpoints of light look like "Christmas chicken pox.”

Lighted animals, such as grazing deer, add a more natural look to holiday yard scenes -- natural because real deer actually forage in our suburban yards. My neighbor created this very naturalistic tableau of an alligator stalking two pink flamingos.




Also many inflatables convey fun and action like skiing penguins, shivering snowmen, running reindeer, etc. My favorite busy Santa inflatables include

1. Hardworking Santa dragging his apparently extremely heavy bag of presents 

2. Skiing Santa on the slope (or is he walking with crutches?)

3. Daredevil Santa rounding a curve on the back of Snoopy's motorcycle. 
I'll be sad when the holiday lights darken after the New Year, but until then let's enjoy Olney's diverse and delightful decorations. Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment