Sunday, January 31, 2016

Neighborly Acts of Kindness in the Snow

Olney's 3o-something-inch snowfall brought out neighborly kindness. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my next-door neighbor cleared my driveway twice with his snow blower. People with snow blowers cleared other neighbors’ driveways, walkways and sidewalks while those with low-tech snow shovels would "detail" or dig out areas inaccessible to snow blowers.

After the snowstorm ended, my husband and I wandered around the neighborhood. A few residents near the entrances could get out and reach the already-plowed main roads. Most of us were snowbound, however, and the rest of the world seemed to be moving on like cars whizzing by on Bowie Mill.

We witnessed more neighborly acts of kindness, like residents (with four-wheel drive vehicles) delivering groceries to stranded neighbors or able-bodied people digging out/pushing drivers spinning their wheels in the snow. Perhaps the greatest neighborly act was my street's snow blower brigade. Over two feet of snow covered the roads and several neighbors decided to clear a path just wide enough for a car to pass through and escape.


When the sun finally melted enough snow to expose the pavement, I couldn't help but think of the effects: I felt like I was out at sea floating among icebergs with smaller ice floes  

or that we all live along the banks of a snowy river.


No comments:

Post a Comment