Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Old Man and the Snow

Now that enough snow has melted to reveal grass again, surreal shapes have popped up. Most of the smooth white mountains have shrunk into jagged gray piles of slush, some which resemble impressionistic sculptures. I spotted this example across the street:


To me, the snow pile on the left looks like the face of an old man or a cranky crescent moon. It seems to be talking to another the snow pile on the right, which could be a boxy cat or pig. I thought maybe I was reading too much into the shapes but even my skeptical adolescent daughter could see these shapes in the snow piles.

Can you see the eye, nose, open mouth and tongue of the face in profile on the left? With a larger stretch of the imagination, can you spot the dark eye and nose spots as well as the two peaks suggesting cat/mouse ears on the right?

As a result of the relatively mild temperatures, rain and sunshine, the gigantic snow piles have melted more quickly than anticipated  ... and this afternoon I had to say goodbye to the old man (or cranky crescent moon) when, sadly, the top of his head (or top of the moon) fell off.          

No comments:

Post a Comment