Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Down on the corner.

With my job, I have to do some traveling throughout the county. Rockville, Silver Spring, Bethesda, and even Olney. I have seen people on the corners, in the median. Mostly men and occasionally women. They may have a sign that reads Homeless not Hopeless. Or Homeless Vet God Bless. Some      may not have a sign. I came across a man on crutches with two prosthetic legs. All year round he wears shorts. The better to see his legs or lack of. On the same corner, on another day, I saw another man. He always has one of his pant legs pinned up to his waist. He's also on crutches and hobbles on his one leg. In Olney, I see folks on the corner of 108 and Georgia. Right across from the bus stop that backs to Popeye's. On the other corner, across from Five Guys is another spot. What to do? Sometimes, I may give a buck or two. You may not see the person for a few days but then they return.  I often wonder how they decide on a corner. How much could they collect? You hope it's going to.  .... what? Feed themselves and family? I know someone who handed out McDonalds bucks. They came in packs of five and could only be used to purchase their food. Either way, it can be awkward to pull up and make or maintain eye contact. Or I may pull in the lane further away. How we avoid the stare down. With autumn and cooler weather coming, there may be fewer sightings. But they're still out there. Not only in Olney.
 

1 comment:

  1. I agree -- it can be awkward to make eye contact and sometimes I move into a lane farther away.

    ReplyDelete