Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Simple Pleasures of Repaved Roads

In late July, OBX readers noted the need to repave Route 108 between the Howard/Montgomery county line and New Hampshire Avenue in Ashton. One writer appropriately described that section of Route 108 as a “pothole obstacle course”. My husband and I joked that whenever we drove home from Howard County on Route 108, we knew we were close to Olney as soon as we felt and heard the difference between the smooth, quiet Howard County side and the crater-riddled, car-rattling Montgomery County side.

Last month while driving home from Baltimore near dusk, I didn’t even notice I had exited Howard County until I spied the “Welcome to Montgomery County” sign. Instinctively bracing myself for a bumpy ride, I then realized that I had already crossed the county line ... and was enjoying a surprisingly smooth ride!



I know it is silly to make such a big deal about newly paved roads, but I love them! After my kid's daily drop-off at the Berrend Dance Centre, I’m often tempted to drive an extra circle around the newly resurfaced parking lot behind Rite Aid. I still savor memories of Bowie Mill Road’s long-awaited (and now long-ago) repaving (see Easy Rider). Ah – simple pleasures can be found in the daily grind of chauffeuring and running errands.

No comments:

Post a Comment