Monday, October 24, 2016

Spooky Sign of the Season

It's almost Halloween and much to my delight, decorations are up! Each year I've written about the cool and unique Halloween decorations I see in the neighborhoods, but what about ones in town?

The other day while waiting at the Georgia Avenue/Route 108 traffic light, I couldn't help but think of Richy Slyon's most recent post, Down on the Corner. When I see panhandlers, I ask myself -- do I help or not?  If I do, how? I agree with Richy that "it can be awkward to pull up and make or maintain eye contact."

Then I spotted someone who does want eye contact and help ... but I really don't know how to help!


I had to stare at this sign in front of Adeptus for a several seconds before comprehending it and chuckling.

What a subtle but spooky sign of the season! Keep an eye on Adeptus' sign whenever you are stuck at the Georgia Avenue/Route 108 intersection -- you never know what they'll post next.


3 comments:

  1. Regarding panhandling: Do I have the permission of the blogger to send this to the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless, requesting a short statement on this situation that many of us find problematic. I would proceed to post the answer on OBEX and this blog. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike -- Thanks for reading and commenting. Thank you also for asking permission to use the "Down on the Corner" post. I will check with the writer Richy Slyon and reply. Please check back this space for my reply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike -- Richy Slyon, who wrote "Down on the Corner", told me that you have permission to send his piece (http://obxlivinginolney.blogspot.com/2016/10/down-on-corner.html) to the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless. We'd love to hear their response/short statement.

    ReplyDelete